|NET WORTH:||$170 Million|
|Source of Wealth:||Actor, Producer, Screenwriter|
|Born:||October 8, 1970|
|Spouse:||Luciana Bozán Barroso|
|Birth Name:||Matthew Paige Damon|
|Height:||5ft. 10in. (1.78m)|
Matt Damon Net Worth And Other Details
Matt Damon is a famous American actor, producer, writer, and philanthropist as well. He has been working in Hollywood since the mid-1990s and has been rewarded with some great box-office results. As a result of all such hits, Matt Damon Net Worth is $170 million. How exactly did he amass so much money? For that, we will have to look deeper.
The early life of Matt Damon
Matt Damon was born as Matthew Paige Damon on 8th October 1970. He was born to a stockbroker father and professor mother in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His father was called Kent Damon and his mother's name is Nancy Carlsson-Paige. Damon's parents aren't together now. They actually divorced when their kid was only two. Matt's fans will know that he also has a brother called Kyle. He was raised with his brother in Cambridge in a 6-family communal house by his mother.
A lot of fans will know that he is best friends with Ben Affleck and has been so since his childhood. Both Matt and Ben wanted to join the acting world right from their very childhoods. But, the real world knocked on Damon's door so he began attending Harvard University in 1988. He studied there till 1992, but couldn't continue anymore and dropped out. He was just 12credits less of a BA English degree.
Matt Damon's early career
Matt began his career in the late 80s. Back then and even in the early part of the 90s, he got some roles only. Some of his earliest acting credits include movies called 'School Ties,' 'Courage under Fire,' and 'Mystic Pizza.' Do you know why he dropped out of Harvard in 1992? It was because he wanted to film the movie 'Geronimo: The American Legend.' He had high hopes that it would be his very first smash hit. As we know now, that would not be the case.
His actual first major hit came to just a few years later on with 'Good Will Hunting.' The screenplay was written by him and his best buddy Ben Affleck. Damon's fans will know that the script started as his school project but later on, he and Affleck transformed it into a good screenplay. They were roommates in Los Angeles then. They got a golden globe award for Best Screenplay and an Academy Award for the same too. Damon was even nominated for the Best Actor category at the Oscars that year for 'Good Will Hunting.' It was this movie that made both of them instant stars.
Apart from this, he quickly rose through the ranks of Hollywood stardom after movies like 'Saving Private Ryan,' 'The Rainmaker,' 'The Talented Mr. Ripley,' and more. It's well known that he didn't get commercial success in the late 90s and early 2000s as such. But his performances were always appreciated.
The franchises that changed his life
If 'Good Will Hunting' catapulted him to stardom, it was starting as Limus Caldwell in George Clooney's "Ocean's" trilogy that made him a household name. The series of movies are still fondly remembered for the great plot and A-list cast.
He struck serious gold with his Jason Bourne movie series. The first movie in the series called 'The Bourne Identity' (2002) premiered to great reviews and a good box office draw. This movie gave him critical acclaim and started off his journey as an action hero. There were two more Bourne Identity movies for which he reprised his lead role. He was asked to join the fourth movie but opted not to. Matt did come back for the fifth and sixth movie called 'The Bourne Legacy,' and 'Jason Bourne.' These movies premiered in 2012 and 2016 respectively. From all the Bourne movies, he earned $87 million total.
Matt Damon as a producer
Damon and his friend Ben Affleck have produced 'Project Greenlight.' It was a reality series where first-time filmmakers could show off their own movies. It is also widely known that Damon gave up acting in 'Manchester by the Sea' to produce it. His replacement for the movie was Ben Affleck's brother Casey Affleck, who won an Oscar for it.
Famous quotes by Matt Damon
● "Fame is really strange. One day you're not famous, and then the next day you are, and the odd thing is that you know intellectually that nothing in the world is different. What mattered to you yesterday are the same things that matter today, and the rules all still apply - yet everyone looks at you differently."
● "The values that I have are the values I was raised with, from where I'm from, which is a middle-class place. So that informs everything about me, my politics and all that stuff. I mean, politically, I vote against my own self-interest at every election. I actively ask these people to raise my taxes."
● "I love shooting when the character is interesting and the script is interesting, but the research beforehand is really fun. The whole process makes me anxious and restless, and I have trouble sleeping, just trying to figure out the character."
● "Success is not something I've wrapped my brain around. If people go to those movies, then yes, that's true, big-time success. If not, it's much ado about nothing."
● "I've been left alone, even by the paparazzi, because what sells is sex and scandal. Absent that, they really don't have much interest in you. I'm still married, still working, still happy."
● "Eventually stardom is going to go away from me. It goes away from everybody and all you have in the end is to be able to look back and like the choices you made."
Matt Damon is a great example of a celebrity who has earned his position through hard work and some luck. He has worked hard for his money and his life. While he has been part of some controversies, that's inevitable as an actor. Overall, he is a man who has made his fortune of $170 million by continuously working.
Project Hatch Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.